Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day


My upstairs neighbor, Bob, received his Valentine's Day gift a little early this year.  His human worried that Bob might be lonely while he was away at work all day so he brought home a new kitty whose name, coincidentally, is Kitty.  Bob had been hoping for the complete collection of Bunnicula books, so when Kitty showed up instead,  well you can imagine how bitterly disappointed Bob became.  From the way he described her, I pictured someone wretched-looking. You can imagine my surprise then when Kitty finally got over her shyness and strolled out to join Bob on her deck.  Bob just rolled his eyes at her sudden appearance, but I could not stop staring at her from where I was sunning myself on my own deck.  Blame it on the holiday, but the way the sun shone like a halo around her....  well, see for yourself.  She's simply stunning!  I am determined to win her over and I think I've discovered just the way to do it.  I'm going to recite beautiful poems to her.  I found this lovely Valentine's Day poem written by someone named Myra Cohn Livingston and I've been working on memorizing it.  Kitty doesn't stand a chance!
An Angry Valentine

If you won't be my Valentine
I'll scream, I'll yell, I'll bite.
I'll cry aloud, I'll start to whine
If you won't be my Valentine.
I'll frown, I'll fret, I'll mope and pine and
It will serve you right---
If you won't be my Valentine
I'll scream, I'll yell, I'll Bite!!
-Myra Cohn Livingston

On the off chance that things don't work out with Kitty, I may just have to marry I.L. instead. She's a student in Miss R.'s class who gave me the most delicious Valentine ever....my favorite canned cat food!  Miss R. didn't even get me anything, but luckily I.L. remembered me.

3 comments:

  1. Dear oliver, Why dont you give Miss R, the possin boots face so you can your cat food. Im glod its one of your favorites tipe of cat food.I hope you injoy it.From Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your poem. I have a cat like Kitty. She has white fur, too. DO NOT touch my cat! Do you like other cats or dogs?

    Christina and Logan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the poem. My kitten looks like Kitty because she has white fur, too. DO NOT touch my furry cat. Do you like other cats and do you like dogs?

    Christina and Logan

    ReplyDelete