Monday, March 14, 2011

Bob's Book Club


"Oliver, now that you have begun your career as a, um...er.....writer," remarked Bob, "perhaps it is time for you to begin thinking about your reading habits.  After all, all good writers are prolific readers."

"What's that? Yeah, sure, whatever you say, Bob." I replied.  My brain was still trying to figure out why Bob had coughed out the word writer, almost like he didn't believe it to be true of me.

"Oliver, pay attention," instructed Bob.  "I'm issuing you an invite to my book club.We meet regularly to discuss great works of literary art. If you're serious about being a writer than you should be serious about joining this book club.  After all, there is no better way to acquire great writing skills than by discussing the writing style of successful,  famous, published writers.  Don't you agree?"


"I guess so." I replied.  I wasn't really paying attention to what Bob was saying.  I was more concerned with whether or not there would be snacks at a book club. I might not mind sitting around with Bob's stuffy friends if food is being served.

"Oliver, are you thinking about food again?" Bob demanded to know.  "I see that dazed look in your eyes and you're starting to drool!" Drat!  He was on to me.  "Oliver, pay attention.  Our next meeting is this Friday at my place.  We're discussing the book Prince Caspian by the highly esteemed C.S. Lewis.  You only have four days to finish the book.  I'll see you then."  With that final comment, Bob leaped through the pet door that led back to his own apartment.  I remained out on my deck wondering how in the world I could ever finish a chapter book in time to take part in the book club meeting.  I'm not a very fast reader.  Then I remembered that the boys and girls in Miss R.'s class had learned about summarizing which is word that means saying a little about a lot.  And, they also just finished reading Prince Caspian. There are a lot of words in Prince Caspian but if you summarize, or say a little about the most important events in the story than maybe I can be prepared for Friday's meeting.  Can you help?

No comments:

Post a Comment